HOW TO QUICKLY PREPARE VIAZI KARAI AND GOAT MEAT
Viazi Karai’s, mmh. At times we might hear the name and think of it as something out of this world. Severally we see Swahili’s preparing them and we assume that it takes a load of effort and time to prepare, cook and have it set on the table. Little do we know this is a very easy meal to prepare and it’s one of the ways to make use of your potatoes especially if you want to have a meal as both lunch/dinner or as a snack.
Today we will be preparing Viazi Karai’s, a famous Swahili dish, and goat meat.
VIAZI KARAI (Serves 3)
1 8 Potatoes Peeled and cut into cubed-like sizes
2 1 cup of wheat flour
3 ¾ cup of water
4. ¼ tspn of Egg yellow coloring
1 Boil the potatoes for roughly 5-10 minutes ensuring it is tender and not too soft.
2. Once boiled, remove the potatoes from heat and allow to cool as you make the paste.
3. Add the wheat flour in a bowl and add water as you mix to form a smooth thick consistency. If it’s too thick you can add some little water.
4. Add the egg yellow coloring to the wheat flour mixture. Ensure the color is not too much.
5. Add the boiled potatoes, one by one into the yellow paste. Mix the potatoes thoroughly to mix evenly with the paste.
6. Using a pan, add oil to heat up .
7. Once the oil is heated up, add the yellow potatoes one by one into the pan and allow each side to cook for about 5 minutes. Turn to the other side once one side is well cooked.
8. Once both sides are well cooked, remove the potatoes from the heat as you drain the excess water. Place the potatoes in a bowl with a kitchen towel to absorb the excess amount of oil.
1 ½ kg of goat meat
2 2tspns of oil
3 1 tspn of turmeric
4 1 tspn of cumin powder
5. A pinch of cardamon powder
6 1 Onion cut into thin slices
7. 4 pieces of garlic and ¼ piece of ginger crushed together
8. 3 tomatoes peeled
9. Soy Sauce
1 Boil the meat till tender and soft
2. Once boiled, drain the excess water and set aside the meat.
3. In a separate pan/sufuria add the oil and allow it to heat up.
4. Add the cumin powder, turmeric and cardamon powder into the oil. Allow it to cook for about 5 seconds.
5. Add the onions into sufuria and mix with the spices until it begins turning slightly dark.
6. Add the crushed ginger and garlic into the sufuria and mix with the onions. Allow to cook for 1 minute.
7. Add the boiled meat and stir with the rest of the ingredients
8. Add the tomatoes and salt and allow to cook until the tomatoes are well cooked.
9. Once the tomatoes are ready, sprinkle the soy sauce and the coriander leaves and stir the meat.
10. Leave the food to cook for 5 minutes and once it’s ready, remove from the heat and serve.
Serve the food. Garnish the viazi karai with some coriander leaves and serve the meal along with kachumbari .
Leave a comment and share. Sharing is caring.
Enjoy a tasty and delicious meal.