HOME-MADE CHICKEN BIRYANI
If you’ve ever been to the Kenyan Coast, then you know how famous and highly esteemed this meal is. From being seen as a Christmas celebration meal to bring people together to an everyday meal. You cannot miss to have a taste of some biryani once you get to the Kenyan Coastal region.
Marking the Idd Ul Fitr event by our muslim brothers and sisters yesterday marked the end of their fasting season. This becomes the day when they prepare all their specialities and having biryani come from their region, there is no doubt that, it must be on their menu list as a must have meal.
Commemorating the same, we will be making the special chicken biryani not following the book rule (mmh) but in a simple easy way that can be used by everyone inclusive of beginners when at home.
For the Chicken
1. 750 gms of chicken or a full chicken
2. Garlic and ginger paste
3.4 large onions chopped
4. 2 tbspn of garam masala
5. 2 tbspn of chicken masala
6. 1 tspn of black pepper
7. Corriander & mint leaves
8. 1 tbspn of turmeric
9. 4 large tomatoes
10. 1 tbpsn of tomato paste
11. Coconut milk/ yoghurt
12. 3 tbspns of oil
1. 2 1/2 cups of rice
2. Egg yellow colour
Procedure (Serves 6)
1. Prepare the chicken for marination for about 30-1hour.
2. Add the pieces of chicken into a bowl.
3. Add 1 tbspn of the ginger and garlic paste and 2 large onions chopped then add all the spices, 1 tbspn of each. Garam masala, chicken masala, black pepper, turmeric powder and a pinch of salt.
4. Add a few of the corriander and mint leaves to the chicken and cocunut milk/yoghurt. For this, I used vanilla yoghurt.
5. Once done, mix all ingredients well and leave for about 30 minutes to 1 hour to marinate the chicken.
6. Once ready, in another sufuria, add the two remaining onions and some oil and fry till golden brown.
7. Add the remaining garlic and ginger paste and the tomatoes chopped.
8. Add the other remaining spices 1 tbspn each along with the remaining corriander and mint leaves.
9. Allow the mixture to cook for about 5 minutes before adding the marinated chicken pieces.
10. Add the marinated chicken pieces, some salt and mix the ingredients. Cover the cooking sufuria and allow it to cook till ready.
11. Once ready, remove from the fire and set it aside.
1. Wash the rice and soak it into water for about 20-30 minutes.
2. Add 5 cups of water into a sufuria, a pinch of salt and 1 tbspn of oil and bring the water to boil.
3. Once boiled, add the rice into the boiled water and allow it to cook till its almost ready.
4. Once the rice is almost ready, remove it and drain the water from the sufuria then spread it on a tray.
5. Pour the egg yellow into a cup/bowl and add some little water.
6. Sprinkle the egg yellow liquid on the rice while mixing it to ensure the colour is absorbed by the rice.
7. In a separate sufuria, add 1tspn of oil, and add a scoop of the rice. Then add the pieces of chicken with its stock spreading evenly on the rice. Add the remaining rice and mix the chicken and rice.
8. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes and once ready remove to serve.
9. The chicken biryani is now ready to serve.
10. Serve the chicken biryani with some kachumbari and a drink either a smoothie or juice.
Enjoy your sumptuous meal.
Remember to leave a comment on your experience with the meal.
Cheers to a sumptuous meal.