HOW TO PREPARE MAHAMRI
Nostalgic moments happening. As I was relaxing I couldn’t help but remember my childhood days when there was a neighbour who could carry along a particular snack time meal whenever she came for the monthly women meetings commonly known as “chama ya wamama or merry go rounds,” in Kenya. Well made and the taste mmhh super duper* delicious. The irresistable snack time meals you cannot resist despite having those multiple dieting timetables. Not to give you spoilers before you taste it, I will hold back the procedure of making the delicacies for a while.
Let’s explore what is your favourite coastal dish? Let us know in the comment section. For ages, I have admired and loved the coastal dishes and having pilau and biriani as my favourite meals. Today we begin the discovery on how to prepare the coastal dishes as we celebrate our muslim brothers and sisters during this time of Ramadhan. Let me take a moment to wish all our muslim brothers and sisters Ramadhan Mubarak.
We delve into one of the most favourite breakfast meals served on coastal tables. The favourite Mahamri’s. This has been a delicacy to many for ages and its popularity is not about to reduce anytime soon.
1. 2 cups of all purpose flour
2. 1 tspn of Instant yeast
3. 2 tbspns of sugar
4. 1/4 cup of warm water
5. 1/2 tspn of cardamon powder
6. 1/2 cup of coconut milk
1. Create a yeast starter by adding the yeast into a bowl and add the sugar into the warm water and add it into the bowl. Let it settle for about 30 minutes until a foam forms on the surface.
2. Add the flour, cardamon powder and coconut milk and mix until all the liquid is absorbed.
3. Knead the dough until the mixture becomes firm and non-sticky. Cover it with a cloth or kitchen towel and let it stay for about 1 1/2 hours -2hrs to give time for the dough to raise.
4. Once the dough has risen, roll the dough and cut out small pieces and place it on a trey dusted it flour to make sure the flour doesn’t stick on the trey. Cover the trey for another 20-30 minutes.
5. Once ready, fry the cut mahamri’s in a pan until it turns golden brown. Do the same for the rest of the pieces.
6. Serve with your preferred beverage.